O’Rourke Ministries is an Outreach Ministry of Cornerstone United Methodist Church – 2956 Sharpsburg McCollum Road Newnan, GA 30265 – 770-304-9397. It was established February 11, 2015 in memory of Dr. Sean Edward O’Rourke 1987 – 2014 and Mr. Larry Lee Gray 1936-2019
2019 IN REVIEW
Under the direction of Mr. Brandon Steiper, the ministry has conducted many activities, touching the lives of children, youth and their families:
- Held a spring shoe drive and provided approximately 45 pairs of shoes to local families in need after gathering specific sizes, etc., for the children of those families. Our wonderful Cornerstone congregation provided most all of those shoes.
- A “back to school” festival event was held July 27th at Eastgate Apartments (an underprivileged community in Newnan) with games, hotdogs, snow cones, arts and crafts, bounce houses, and lots of fellowship. We provided hygiene kits for more than 60 children. Having realized that many of the children are without beds, we provided 83 sleeping bags for the children. A food distribution table was also available that day during the festival.
- A child who has been diagnosed with Sanfilippo Syndrome was helped with $1,000.00 as her family was seeking some special treatment for the disease. The child is enrolled in Cornerstone Kids Preschool.
- We sent $1,000.00 to One Roof for The Lodge. The Lodge is a temporary, emergency shelter for women and children under 14. They are set to open September 23, 2019
- We have partnered with Midwest Foodbank in Peachtree City, GA. A monthly distribution is taking place and most of the food is being delivered to Eastgate Apartments in Newnan, for the families there. We have distributed some of the food to Trinity Table in Atlanta.
- A “back to school” shoe drive was held in September. We provided more than 46 pairs of shoes with multiple pairs of socks for each child. The shoes went to the local families in need after gathering specific sizes, etc., for the children of those families. The Cornerstone family provided most of these shoes and socks.
- On November 16, we held and Thanksgiving Festival at Eastgate Apartments with hotdogs, all the fixings, cotton candy, Ice cream, a bounce house obstacle course, and arts and crafts. We provided 50 take home Thanksgiving meals for the families and 53 packs for the children, containing socks, blankets, gloves, and other miscellaneous items. We also had a food distribution table during the festival. It was a beautiful day, enjoyed by all.
- We purchased 10 beds (5 twins and 5 full) for I 58 Mission. Each bed is a mattress, box springs, and frame. I 58 Mission will distribute the beds to those in need.
- We purchased and received donations of pillows and pajamas for the Eastgate children for Christmas. After gathering sizes, etc. we distributed 157 pairs of pajamas and load of bed pillows at the Eastgate Christmas Party on December 18th. We provided cookies, candy, and drinks for the children and also had a food distribution table for the parents. The weather was great, and God is so good.
- On Christmas Day a fire destroyed a home. The family has 3 small children and they were all unharmed. Their pets, however, did perish in the fire along with all of their belongings. We provided $750.00 to that family.
We are thankful to all of those who provide service to this ministry, those who help with our events, those who communicate the needs in our community, and those who contribute financially to this ministry. There are so many people who make up this ministry! Most of all we are thankful to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.